From Canon 6D to mirrorless

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
FingerPainter Veteran Member • Posts: 9,589
Not even in the same book

Rado R wrote:

Lol ... I mentioned earlier regarding IQ and perspective, so good try at changing the subject.

Let's try and pay attention here.

We are talking about landscape photography and exposures. Not DoF, not IQ, not perspective, not high ISO performance, not dynamic range, not resolution. Just exposure.

I really fail to understand how you can say that landscape photographers do not care about DoF, IQ, perspective, dynamic range or resolution. (You left out diffraction and motion blur.) Perhaps you don't care, but I certainly do. Neither of us speaks for all landscape photographers. But when I read about landscape photography, it seems to me the better photographers tend to take all those factors into account.

I mostly shoot sports, wildlife and events, but when I shoot landscapes, control of all of the factors you listed (except high ISO performance) is more important to me than in the other three genres. For most of my sports shots, I don't have time to carefully meter various points in the scene, or adjust the aperture to get lens sharpness or DoF just right. Nor do I worry about noise in the shadows. My perspective is fixed by my assigned shooting location. I get the best shot I can, usually wide open. Wide open, the DoF is almost always sufficient for a single subject, and shadow noise is usually inevitable. When shooting landscapes from a tripod, I can take my time to optimize settings. So I do. First I find the position to give me the right perspective. Then I select the focal length to give me the desired framing. I select aperture to optimize DoF or lens sharpness. Unless there is motion in the scene, I set ISO to base and let the shutter speed be whatever gives me the highest exposure I can get without clipping important highlights.

Are we on the same page?

I don't think we're even in the same book.

Now ...

A landscape photographer wanting to capture the same photo (or close enough ... see the not(s) above)

A landscape photographer may well want to capture the same photo regardless of format. But to landscape photographers who care about the quality of their work, "same" means more than same perspective, framing, and lightness. It also includes resolution, DR, noisiness, and DoF. A good landscape photographer wants to capture the photo with the highest resolution, highest dynamic range, lowest noise, and best DoF for the subject from the best perspective.

Competent landscape photographers also know that using the same exposure on different formats won't give the same photo. They also know that a crop-sensor camera with a higher base ISO may give them worse DR and noisiness than just the difference in sensor size would imply. They also know that a larger sensor gives better image sharpness for a given lens sharpness and pixel count, and that larger pixel counts are available on larger sensors.

So which camp is OP in. If he's in the happy snapper camp with you, then he doesn't need to worry about his choice of equipment at all. Any reasonably modern digital camera system will let him take landscape shots. But I presume that somebody who asks about equipment choice cares enough about IQ that he'd want to at least consider all the factors affected, not just perspective, framing and lightness.

with the same settings on different sensor cameras only has to change the focal length to compensate for the crop factor. That's it. DoF is irrelevant when you want your entire image to be sharp.

A competent landscape photographer knows that even with infinite DoF, not all elements of the photo will be equally sharp. Only objects at the focus distance will be as sharp as they can be. everything closer or farther away will be less sharp. In some landscapes, it will be important that some particular element be particularly sharp. The photographer will focus on that element. In that case, the DoF will be determined by how close is the closest object that must also be sharp.

Actually less shallow DoF is usually preferable.

Depends on the subject matter, but, yes, usually one does want a deeper DoF with landscapes than in many other genres. Bu that doesn't mean that one sets the lens to the smallest aperture. Doing so, will make the whole image less sharp. One uses the shallowest DOF that will adequately cover the subject matter.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
N_M
N_M
N_M
N_M
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow