Possibly moving to full-frame mirrorless from m4/3’s

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 5,899
Re: As an ex M43 user

NCV wrote:

I recently sold all my M43 gear that was getting a bit long in the tooth. I had five or six years good service out of my EM5, which was quite revolutionary when it appeared. I sold all my stuff before Olympus announced their exit from the camera industry.

I tried a demo Z7 at my local dealers and was smitten with this camera. The viewfinder is on an almost optical level and I can work seamlessly with my D810. I found the electronic viewfinder in my EM5 unpleasent and useless even, when I used M43 in tandem with the OVF in my D810.

I had the EM5, and it was revolutionary but highly flawed.  The EM5.2 was a vast improvement, and the E-M1.2 is really the camera that makes M43 an all-around system (ergonomics and continuous AF).  Selling off your M43 gear on the basis of the limitations of the EM5 just doesn't seem to be a sound decision.

My major issue with the Z7 is the huge delay in auto-review.  With my m43 cameras, I can leave review on all of the time.  The image is displayed with barely noticeable delay, and a quick tap on the shutter dismissed it if I don't want to scrutinize it.  With the Z7, there is a blackout, and delay displaying the image, and slow return to live view.  It is so slow, I don't try using it.  Which means I have to punch up playback if I want to review the image.  Not sure why this is, but it seems like the Z7 hast to write the image out, and then read it back as if you had punched up playback.

Now that Nikon is releasing the Z7 II, I have no hope that they will fix issues with the Z7.

On the other hand, Olympus has sold off their camera division, and I have no hope that the acquired business will be successful.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow