MFT is a great system

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
abera Regular Member • Posts: 103
Sure but...

fotosplaneta wrote:

Why are there so many rumors about the “death” of the mft system? There are very nice lenses that seems are not available in other systems, such for example, the meike 3.5mm circular fisheye that has a 220 FOV!! and today it was announced the super luminous voigtlander 29mm f/0.8. Hard to think in another system with such kind of lenses.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/186880309@N06/

29mm f/0.8 even in principle only offers what 58mm f/1.6 offers on FF or

In practise the microlenses of the cameras limit the efficiency of the fastest lenses making the smalles f-numbers more or less a marketing gimmick. Additionally small f-numbers require much more complex design to achieve similar quality to larger f-number lenses even in absolute terms ignoring the larger enlargement required for the output - this 29mm is not of particularly complex design and you can expect at best very average image quality.

Personally I'd buy a FF and a 58mm kit for lower price that Voigtländer

About the fisheye - Nikkor 6mm from the 70's already had 220mm FoV...:)

And Precision Optics offers 270 degree fisheye https://www.dpreview.com/news/4034995669/c-4-precision-optics-4-9mm-f3-5-hyper-fisheye-lens-for-sony-e-mount

The real strenght of m43 is in small size, not in fancy optics.

And about the "death" - the problems for m43 are real - cell phone cameras eat much of the lower end market of cameras. Can m43 system find niches where it will flourish, that is the question. It's not going to beat cell phones on size, nor larger formats on absolute performance so it has to be something else. Lightweight bird photography is one of the possible niches I can think of the top of my head, but it alone is hardly enough.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow