Best lens for D800??

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Stujomo
Stujomo Senior Member • Posts: 1,771
Re: Best lens for D800??

ColleenOlympus wrote:

Hi, I'm thinking of purchasing a secondhand Nikon D800 & would really appreciate some advice on what lens/lenses to get for it.

I will be using it mostly to take portrait (full figure) photos of people - these will be reference photos to paint from so I require absolutely no distortion. I will mostly be shooting indoors.

Secondly I also need to photograph some active shots (of dancers/performers) - again these are for reference photos to paint from so I really need no distortion. Capturing high res detail is really important.

Does anyone have a suggestion about what lens I will need - or I'm guessing I will need 2 lenses for such different subject matter??

One other thing... the D800 that I'm considering buying has a high shutter count of 174,000 - so it's quite a low price. So you think it has a bit of life left in it or is that a bad buy?

Thanks in advance!

The 50mm f1.8G is fine for full length if you stop it down a bit. Even with the 36mp of the D800 not many pixels are on the face when shooting a full length portrait.

Here is one it's not really full length but it is the D800 and 50mm f1.8G

Stujomo's gear list:Stujomo's gear list
Nikon D1H Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony a7 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Fsi
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow