ICC profiles / softproof for Canon TS8320/8350/8380

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dr Nick Riviera New Member • Posts: 5
ICC profiles / softproof for Canon TS8320/8350/8380

Hi all,

I just got a Canon TS8380. I live in China where it is the local version of the TS8320 / TS8350.

I have calibrated my monitor (Viewsonic VP2458) to 5000 K / 110 lux using DisplayCal. I work in a pretty dark room where the main light source is a Benq Screenbar set to ~5000 K / 300-400 lux (measured with Colormunki Display ambient light sensor). I may do some tests with the display's native whitepoint or 6500 K but I don't think that's the main issue right now.

In Windows I use darktable or GIMP to generate tif or jpg files and Canon Digital Photo Professional 4 for printing, all set up for colour management. I also plan to try Qimage at some point.

I printed the well known evaluation image PrinterEvaluationImage_V002.tif on Canon original paper (PP-201), using Canon DPP and I asked the printer to manage color (Driver Matching). I'm pleased with the output but very clearly there are some color shifts compared to the original file, which I understand because this test image contains a lot of out of Gamut colors. I also noticed some obvious colours shifts in other images I printed, so I really would like to have more control about the output.

My questions are now related to what we have here in the printer properties menu

1. Is there a way to softproof my images so that I can preview what the printer is doing in "Driver Matching" mode? The printer driver just installs some useless generic ICCs and there's nothing on the Canon website.
  2. I don't get the meaning of ICM even after reading quite a few websites and forum posts.
  3. If I want Canon DPP or Qimage manage the color I believe that I have to set color matching to "None" and specify the printer ICC in the application. But again, this only makes sense if I can find or create ICC profiles for this driver. Any experience with this mode on a TS83xx series printer?
ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow