Should we call the 150-400mm f/4.5 Pro 'Moby Dick'?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Danielvr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,515
Should we call the 150-400mm f/4.5 Pro 'Moby Dick'?

In the Four Thirds days, we had the Big Tuna (300mm f/2.8) and its smaller brother, Little Tuna (150mm f/2.0).

And now we have this incredible 150-400mm f/4.5 telephoto zoom lens, which I guess is both a triumph and a tragedy. A triumph of opto-mechanical ingenuity because no lens of its kind (stabilized, portable, hand-holdable 150-500mm reach with great IQ) has ever been made, and a tragedy because it marks Oly's sad farewell from the photo industry.

So, I was wondering if we should call this lens 'Moby Dick', after the whale in Herman Melville's famous novel. Moby Dick was, after all, the largest whale that lived, just like the 150-400mm is Oly's largest lens. And Moby Dick was white, just like the lens. Finally, Moby Dick was a symbol for the unrelenting pursuit of something unattainable, much like it turned out to be impossible for Oly to establish a viable, mainstream photographic standard even though it gave its all in the pursuit of this dream. Oh, and like the big whale, it will remain out of reach to most of us, too..

There may be more similarities that I haven't thought of. I have considered alternative nicknames, like Moby Zuiko and Oly Dick, but I don't think those would work Any other suggestions?

Danielvr's gear list:Danielvr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow