Possibly moving to full-frame mirrorless from m4/3’s

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ZapperVT Senior Member • Posts: 1,072
Re: Possibly moving to full-frame mirrorless from m4/3’s

nickels25 wrote:

1). Smaller/lighter lenses for long telephoto. With my Olympus 100-400mm, I’ve been able to get into bird and wildlife photography! I didn’t do that before due to the cost of the Full-frame lenses.

However, mirrorless full-frame lenses (equivalent to my m4/3 lenses) are pretty much the same size and weight...and sometimes cheaper. If they are not the same size, it seems they are only a couple inches difference. Also the mirrorless full-frame camera bodies are now the same size/weight as my Olympus E-M1 mark 3.

The Olympus 100-400 is unique for its combination of long effective focal length and low weight, at the sacrifice of less light collected and therefore lower IQ compared to FF equivalents. If you like this set of tradeoffs, you should keep your Oly because you won't find anything like it in full frame mirrorless right now.

A FF equivalent of the Olympus 100-400mm f5-6.3 would be a 200-800 f10-13. (To get the full frame equivalents of M43, multiply focal length and aperture by 2). If such a lens existed, it might not be much bigger or heavier than the Olympus. But there's nothing even close on the market. The closest you could come is a 150-600mm f5-6.3 with a 1.4x teleconverter for an effective 210-840 f/7.1-9. That combination would be a stop faster than the Olympus and approaching twice the weight.

And Sony is the only mirrorless system with a native150-600 available. For now you would have to use a DSLR lens with an adapter for a Nikon Z or a Canon R camera.

The only lenses in FF mirrorless that approach the reach and low weight of the Olympus 100-400mm (but not the versatility) are the two Canon RF f/11 primes, with the 800mm at 1260 grams and the 600mm f/11 at 930g.

So the Olympus has a unique combination of long focal length, low weight, and slow aperture (in FF equivalents) compared to equivalent FF lenses, which are bigger, heavier, and faster. The tradeoff for low weight and size is less light, and hence lower IQ. This is the same tradeoff a APS-C user like myself makes, but even more so for M43.

ZapperVT's gear list:ZapperVT's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow