Best lens for D800??

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
wilberforce_1 Forum Member • Posts: 57
Re: Best lens for D800??

ColleenOlympus wrote:

Thanks for the further advice, I've checked my previous photos and on average the focal length used was 15 - 20mm on the micro 4/3 camera. So from what you have said and I double it, this means the 50mm would be more suitable? And yes - you were right in your interpretation of meaning full body shots, though I would also be taking some head and shoulders shots, and you're also right in that I want everything to be in sharp focus if possible.
Thanks again!

Yes, 15-20 on MFT, is equivalent to 30-40 on full-frame. The closest prime is then 35mm. However, 35mm is NOT ideal for portraiture - it gives too much perspective distortion - noses look too big, faces too rounded, part of bodies near the edges get stretched out. 35mm is good for what is called "environmental portraiture" which is a photo of a person including their surrounding environment - like a woodworker in their workshop.

If at all possible, you need to back up enough to make 50mm work, else the perspective distortion will be noticeable. Also, shorter focal length lenses usually have more lens distortion as well.

In order to make 85mm work, you will need to back up at least twice as far as you have been doing.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Fsi
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow