Possibly moving to full-frame mirrorless from m4/3’s

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
OP CedarTree33 Contributing Member • Posts: 551
Re: Possibly moving to full-frame mirrorless from m4/3’s

daleeight wrote:

You mention "cropping in" a few times, and while that is an option, it is a pretty crazy one to be permanent with. Why buy 45mp sensor just to whack it down to 20-25mp...? For one off "I don't have long enough lens" then maybe, or "I didn't compose this right" then maybe.

But you mention wanting more megapixels, so to me, if you have m43 20mp sensor (like my E-M1mkIII or Pen-f) then the z6 or z6II aren't really solving this for you.

The problem with Nikon or others, and people will not like this, is that for long zooms or primes, it is really difficult to beat Olympus (or Panasonic) lens options right now. You 100-400, while not awesome for "equivalent" aperture when it comes to in-focus depth (for those that like to argue equivalence), is a very good lens and had to get 200-800 in a Nikon in the package the Olympus is. Same with the Olympus 300mm prime and the Panasonic options too. You can get an older Nikon long zoom or prime, 500 or 600, but it isn't 800, and it is big, heavy, and long, and don't forget the adapter.

All that to say, if you are a bird or wildlife shooter, having a E-M1mkII or III or the E-M1x with a long zoom or prime is to me, the way to go. Yes, a lot of Nikon shooters shoot birds, but it just cost a lot more, and needs a bigger bag and more muscles. For everything else, the FF z6 or z7 lines, very good and can show the m32 cameras and lenses a thing or 2. Well, maybe macro not so much, because my E-M1mkIII with Oly 60mm f/2.8 macro is WAY smaller, lighter, and cheaper than the z6 with FTZ adapter and the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro...

So if you want birds, or long zoom stuff, I'd stick with what you have, but for everything else, get some Nikon (sensor MP's your choice), the 24-70 f/4 zoom, and start shooting and build from there based on what you see.

Thank you! Super helpful!

CedarTree33's gear list:CedarTree33's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Olympus E-M1 III Canon EOS R5 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus 25mm F1.2 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow