Using Arsenal Camera Assistant for Focus Stacking

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
JimH123 Senior Member • Posts: 2,723
Using Arsenal Camera Assistant for Focus Stacking

I bought Arsenal back when it first came out, and hadn't given it much of a try. But recently, I tried Focus Stacking with the Sony A6300 using the Focus Stacking App from Sony PlayMemories. Of course, this App is rather lame and only allows for a stack size of 3 and a choice of narrow, middle and wide for how far apart the separate images are.

That got me to remembering that Arsenal offered Focus Stacking, so I got it out, updated the firmware, and gave it a try.

Arsenal allows for a stack of 20 images. Allows electron shutter to be used (unlike PlayMemories that doesn't) and provides a way to focus on the nearest thing to be in focus and on the farthest thing to be in focus and then figures out where the intermediate shots are to go. All this can be set up from my smartphone or tablet.

The downside is that it is quite slow and needs to be mounted on a tripod.

But it works great. It also can process the Focus Stack result, but I prefer to use the individual RAWs and to load them into Helios and let it stack them.

After doing this with an E-Mount lens, decided to give it a try with an A-Mount lens and the LA-EA4 adapter. This didn't work at all. Arsenal does not know how to move the focus point of A-Mount lenses, or at least the Minolta 100mm f2.8 macro lens that I tried it with.

Should also point out that I can easily do focus stacking on my Olympus camera and they allow up to 999 images.  So there is no comparison here.  But I wanted to see what it take to do it on the A6300.

JimH123's gear list:JimH123's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6500
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow