Possibly moving to full-frame mirrorless from m4/3’s

Started 5 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nickels25 Regular Member • Posts: 305
Possibly moving to full-frame mirrorless from m4/3’s

I have been a m4/3’s owner for a while now after selling my Nikon D700 full-frame camera and lenses in lieu of a lighter camera system for hiking and travel. I’m genuinely asking the questions below and am not trying to “troll” or anything like that.

I’m hoping to avoid any heated discussion about which camera systems best. I understand each person has their unique reasons for their system of choice. Mine has honestly been m4/3’s for a long time. But for me, I am starting to see my reasons for not moving into mirrorless full-frame dwindle. With that said, I recognize I may be missing something. With mirrorless full-frame camera system becoming smaller and lighter, it’s hard for me to justify staying with m4/3’s (especially with the news from Olympus). Here are my main two personal reasons for staying with m4/3’s currently:

1). Smaller/lighter lenses for long telephoto. With my Olympus 100-400mm, I’ve been able to get into bird and wildlife photography! I didn’t do that before due to the cost of the Full-frame lenses.

2). The computational photography features in the new Olympus cameras (e.g. live composite, Live ND, etc.) are pretty cool and prevent me from carrying extra gear and tripod. This allows me to keep my pack lighter during hikes and travel.

However, mirrorless full-frame lenses (equivalent to my m4/3 lenses) are pretty much the same size and weight...and sometimes cheaper. If they are not the same size, it seems they are only a couple inches difference. Also the mirrorless full-frame camera bodies are now the same size/weight as my Olympus E-M1 mark 3.

In terms of my reasoning for staying with m4/3’s above, I have been reading about/hearing that you can get the same m4/3 crop factor or field of view if you crop into a higher megapixel full-frame image (e.g. Using a Nikon Z7 or Sony A7R III/IV and cropping into the image). Also, I think it’s only a matter of time before the Full-frame bodies get more computational photography features. (The Canon R5/6 already has the 8 stops of image stabilization...which was a deleted 3rd reason I was staying with m4/3’s).

Therefore, with these abilities above, is there a legitimate reason why I should stay with m4/3’s? If I can get better low-light performance, better IQ, etc. with a full-frame mirrorless system AND keep my weight/size similar to what I have now. Why shouldn’t I switch? Or put another way, in regards to the two reasons for me staying with m4/3’s above, and with the full-frame mirrorless systems where they are at right now, is there still legitimacy for me to stay with m4/3’s?

Is there a reason that I’m not thinking about?...for example, will I not be able to grab focus using a full-frame camera and a distant subject (and therefore not able to crop in during post to achieve a more close-up shot...like I would with my Olympus 100-400mm)?

Thanks for your time and advice. Unfortunately, I’m not in a place or position where I can rent a bunch of gear to test out these questions. I appreciate your opinions and advice.

nickels25's gear list:nickels25's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +7 more
Nikon D700 Nikon Z7 Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow