FZ80 experiences pt.8

Started Oct 20, 2020 | Discussions thread
Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 5,845
Re: FZ80 experiences pt.8

arnoud venema wrote:

Does anyone out there uses the RAW to JPG procedure as described by Graham Houghton

And what are your conclusions?

Are you referring to Graham's
"Panasonic Lumix FZ80/82 Using Raw to Optimise JPEG settings" HERE ?

Link you provided to an Graham's introductory video.

Have not used as I mainly shoot RAW and use RAW software.

I watched the video and any "conclusions" will vary by different users.

Using the in-camera RAW processing tool can be a great aid in learning by "seeing" in real time how the FZ82/ FZ80 camera's settings can adjust image appearance; i.e., instead of taking 'multiple shots' with different settings, you can apply different settings to a single image and see/ compare the results in real time.

IMO could be quite beneficial/ helpful when taking pictures in less than ideal lighting conditions for better exposure adjustments, WB. NR, etc. Especially if one watches and understands the concepts presented in the video.

As I previously posted:
Prior to buying FZ80 below are a couple JPG+RAW sample images I downloaded from the PhotoLab FZ82 Review to see how well the RAW image could be PP (images downsized to 5MP).

OOC JPG

PP RAW image; note image wider FOV

Of course you're not going to get the same results as the above images as no camera's in-camera RAW PP can match the PP power of a 64-bit computer/ RAW software app.

In order to fully appreciate the advantages on an RAW image one needs to fully understand what a JPG image is' e.g., JPG uses an "method of 'lossy compression' which deletes image data 'it' determines not necessary and then compresses the image data it does keep. Hence with a JPEG image you have FAR less of the original image data to work with, and whatever changes JPG processing made to image (good or bad) is irreversible; i.e., one cannot return a well done steak back to 'raw'. (pun intended )

Bottom line it's an 'option' each one will need to 'play with' to see how well it works for their type/ style of photography.

Cheers,
Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot S110 Leica C +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
VT
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow