Screen on laptop vs desktop?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
pajarrett Contributing Member • Posts: 539
Re: Screen on laptop vs desktop?

I'm in the process of switching from a desktop to a laptop right now. I have been using a Dell desktop for over 5 years with a 24" screen, my new laptop is a Dell XPS 15 with a 10th gen i7 chip and 64GB of memory. Compared to my desktop it is a screamer. Yes, the laptop has a smaller screen, but I will use my larger screen (along with the laptop screen in a two screen setup) while I am home. The laptop will give me a chance to work on photos while I am on the road. It is fairly heavy, but I don't plan on carting it around with me all the time, just leaving it where I am staying (usually an RV) while I am on the road. Since I have the laptop connected to a docking station (really a box now days), I have the best of both worlds. It is basically a desktop at home that I can take with me on trips. Good luck with your choice.

BTW, I was testing the new laptop yesterday and I had it process a 50 photo (each from a D850, raw) multi-row-HDR panorama in Lightroom.  It chewed through the work in about 5 min.  The same pano in my older desktop took about 25 min. but crashed before it finished.

-- hide signature --
 pajarrett's gear list:pajarrett's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow