A USA story

Started 5 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Gman58 Senior Member • Posts: 2,547
A USA story

Took a trip to my late grandparent's home in rural Alabama, so this indeed is a 'travel' subject. This house (built in 1917) has been empty since 1970. My cousin lives a few hundred yards down the still-rural country road. My dad and his six siblings were raised on this property. They ran a small self-sustaining farm; A few cows, hogs, chickens, a mule, a garden and fruit trees. The children each received a bag of fruit for Christmas. They went to school in a one-room schoolhouse. We would visit every summer and milk cows, get eggs from the henhouse, and ride the mule, etc.

My dad was the only one of the children that went to college- after serving in WWII. He raised seven children of his own, never making more than 15K a year until later in his career. We lived in a 800 sq ft home with one bathroom. But, we all have college degrees, ranging from PhD's, Master's to Bachelors - Engineers, Medical Professionals, a college Dean, a business executive, and a small business owner. This is the United States I love. My dad, now deceased, always said: "Anything easily attained is lightly regarded".

Washing Machine circa 1940's?, still sitting on the back porch. My brother (when he was 8 yrs old) got his arm stuck in the roller.

Gman58's gear list:Gman58's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax KP Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Lan
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow