D850 to ... Z7 - what improved (that mattered)? Locked

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
camerosity Senior Member • Posts: 2,115
Re: D850 to ... Z7 - what improved (that mattered)?

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

I love my D850, and several DSLRs before that. I'm mildly curious about mirrorless, but only if a mirrorless camera solves a problem I have with the D850. So far I see the D850 as generally superior in autofocus, battery life, and turn-on speed. THe Z7 seems like it must be better for video autofocus, but (perhaps because of poor video autofocus) I don't shoot video.

If you went from a D850 to a Z7, what do you see as for-sure improvements? And any drawbacks?

I had the D850 and more recently had a Z6 and still have a Z50. Shooting in Live View with the D850 is a chore. Autofocus is slow. With the Z6 and Z50 it's amazing. Lately I have found that I like to shoot in Live View since I often have my motorcycle helmet on and want to stop and take a photo on the side of the road and don't want to have to take my helmet off. I can shoot in Live View with the Z6 or Z50 and it works well, in fact, I can shoot a photo with the Z50 by touching the LCD screen! That is the most significant improvement for me. I sold the D850 early this year and won't buy another one (I would consider the D780 since it too has the ability to focus well in Live View).

camerosity's gear list:camerosity's gear list
Nikon Z50 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow