Recommendation for image viewer / workflow

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lokito New Member • Posts: 22
Recommendation for image viewer / workflow

I don't do photography as a business to merit a monthly subscription for adobe tools, so I am looking for an alternative to manage the large amount of photos that I have.

For example, I just purchased a new to me 50mm canon lens that I have been experimenting with, I did some focusing test shots indoors, I took some night shots and this afternoon I walked around downtown taking some random shots.

Now I need a tool, software program, image viewer that will allow me to, without importing anything, to quickly sniff through all the images inside my memory card, and disregard all the throwaways without having to even transfer them into my computer much less having to import them into any local or online database.

I would like to view each image, magnify to check focus, if I don't like it, just hit delete, if I like it enough to keep it, then I can rate it with 1-5 starts. Once I have narrow down all the keepers, then I can go ahead an transfer/import the select few that are worth editing to improve them.

It would be nice if I could make some minimal adjustment within the image viewer, but or maybe get a recommendation for a decent, simple and free image editor that I could use to edit the rated images.

Does such program exist ?

I am mainly looking for a program that will quickly allow me to just get rid of the images I don't like, so that I don't waste time importing and waste hard drive space storing images that are not good.

If you know of anything that could help me, please advice.

I am trying to learn how to use the Canon Digital photo Professional but I am finding it a bit disappointing, it is free, and it looks promising, looks like just what I need, but every time I go though all the images rejecting and rating each images, then I loose all my ratings and I have to start over. Maybe it is user error, but it is getting to be frustrating.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow