G9 vs full frame A7III @ ISO6400. unfair comparison, really?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
photofan1986
photofan1986 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,538
G9 vs full frame A7III @ ISO6400. unfair comparison, really?

Having been extremely impressed with Dxo Photolab 4 and its Deep prime noise reduction, I am nearing the end of my trial period, so I wanted to do a last comparison. However, I will most probably buy this amazing piece of software, but I am hoping for a black friday sale.

So, I was wondering how well an image from a m43 camera (processed with Dxo Deep prime) would stack up to an image from a modern FF sensor (processed with ACR) (the A7III is not THE best in low light, but it's still considered excellent). Crazy thought? I'll let you be the judge.

The setup is the following: tripod, ISO6400 on both cameras, Sony had the Tamron 28-75 2.8 lens @f/8.0/50mm and G9 had the 12-35 2.8 @ f4/25mm, to have a similar DOF. Though note that getting a similar framing is not easy with those different aspect ratios.

Setup is in lowish light, but not darkness. The Sony image has been resized slightly to 5200 pixel wide (from 6000).

PS: those are 100% crops!

First up, ACR vs ACR.

G9 on the left.

This is the kind of difference I come to expect with a much larger sensor.

Next, Dxo VS ACR

G9 on the left

Wow, now we're talking! The difference before/after for the G9 image is HUGE! Not only noise levels dropped significantly, but colors are much better and details are RESTORED! Talk about a breakthrough technology!

Now before you tell me the Sony image is not focused properly or soft, here's a last comparison with both images processed through DXO.

G9 on the left

Here the A7III is very slightly better, but the difference before/after is much smaller for the Sony.

This software is a GAME CHANGER in my opinion. For those using smaller sensor cameras, it makes a world of difference. I would have never thought we could get such results with just a software. For not only it reduces noise like many other softwares, but it also enhances detail, sharpness, colors...

For those who want to see the full size files, here they are. Feel free to download and pixel peep

As far as I'm concerned, it is a standing ovation for the Dxo team! Bravo messieurs! Et merci

G9 ACR

G9 DXO

A7III ACR

A7III DXO

photofan1986's gear list:photofan1986's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Sony RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +11 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow