Upgrade from Af-s 12-24 f/4? UWA opinions

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Aston Senna Junior Member • Posts: 47
Upgrade from Af-s 12-24 f/4? UWA opinions

Hi there, i have the old Nikon 12-24 f/4, it was my first ultra wide angle, got it for a crazy good deal so jumped on it to jump on it. I've never shot UWA before and it seems like images are just okay with it. Closer proximity stuff, shooting car interiors can be mixed, but when i shot some landscapes with in Monterey i was very disappointed even stopped down.

I shoot on a D7500 and plan on having a DX for sometime.

What UWAs would be considered a jump in image quality/sharpness?

Ken Rockwell wrote that the new 10-20 is sharper than the old 12-24, but on here at least i only find threads comparing the 10-20 and the also old 10-24.

The one i thought i'd be most interested in is the Tamron 10-24 HLD with VC, but again couldn't find any search results comparing it to an 12-24.

And i know people will suggest the Tokinas, and the 11-20 does seem very interesting.(not a milky way shooter for what it's worth, i'd probably use a 35 1.8 dx for that if i ever did)

Really, any feedback of anyone who has used the old nikkor 12-24 dx and then some of the newer options would be tremendously appreciated.

Thank you!

Aston Senna's gear list:Aston Senna's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon 85mm F1.8G +3 more
Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow