From Canon 6D to mirrorless

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Rado R Forum Member • Posts: 50
Re: From Canon 6D to mirrorless

ecka84 wrote:

Hi. I noticed that we have similar camera use cases (95% landscape / 5% holidays, these days). And I too have the 6D, to this day :), with no perfect camera on the horizon to replace it.

Here are some answers I've collected for myself:

1] There is no such thing like a universal "good enough" for everyone or everything. While "more than good enough" is really an argument from ignorance. Only you can decide what is good enough for you personally. No APS-C is really good enough for me. But for most people even phones are good enough. However, smaller sensors are not going to beat your (our) 6D chip in most regards. Shadow recovery and dynamic range do not define image quality, it's just one of the features you are interested in. I mean, image wise, there's barely any difference between the newest EOS R6 and the good old 6D (until you push it to extremes), specially for non-pixel-peepers.

2] Primes are great. I love primes. Small primes can be amazing and produce spectacular results. But there's a huge misconception around lens sizes. Like crop optics are supposed to be smaller or cheaper, which they are not. So, don't get fooled by the anti-FF propaganda. The A7III is a fine camera and the great little Samyang lenses are wonderful tools. I only use primes myself, but when it comes to ultra wide angle, I think that nothing beats stitching. A decent FF camera with a nice small prime lens can produce mind-blowing Medium Format level results when stitched.

What? Crop lenses are definitely smaller than FF! Not sure what lenses you are looking at, but fuji XF lenses are much smaller than the equivalent canon EF lenses at the same aperture. And yes, as a landscape photographer, you don't need to compensate for the aperture, just for the focal length.

I have 6D as well. My canon 24-105 f4 is 84 x 107 mm, weighting 670g.

The equivalent fx lens is the 16-80 f4, which is 78.3 x 88.9 mm, weighting 440g.

That's significantly smaller! Same goes with the 70-200.

3] Fuji X-Trans is a no-go for landscaping, in my opinion. If you really want a Fuji camera and a Fuji system, then I'd suggest to get one with Bayer CFA. But then you are not going to win anything in image quality, lens size or price. Only 100-200 grams chopped off from the camera body, resulting in uncomfortably smaller camera grip and smaller battery (so, you will need more spare batteries). No real advantages at all (in my opinion).

4] I would probably get the A7RII or A7RIII instead. Well, you want a better sensor and not the 'bells and whistles' too, right?. That would be my advice. Unless money in not an issue. Then just get the R5 and the A7R4 and all the lenses you want and be happy :).

For 3 and 4, this landscape youtuber will disagree with you. He switched from a7rii to xt3: https://youtu.be/Z6vgwmbWvlg

To the OP, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, but I also need video. However, I'm looking to replace the 6D for travel and landscape, but keep the 6D for portraits.

So my parameters are: smaller body and lenses. Good IQ. Decent video. IBIS. Good jpeg since I don't always want to edit raw.

I settled on fuji apsc. Love the retro styling and their film simulations. However, the body I want does not exist  .. yet.

Therefore, I've currently, reluctantly, settled on XS10 because I need the ibis, but don't want to drop $700 more for xt4, even though I love the retro dials and the flexibility that it gives you. It ticks all my boxes, except for the one vain box - retro looks. I wish it was an xt40 instead of XS.

My travel and landscape setup will be the FX 10-24 f4 and the canon EF 70-200 f4 (no IS) with the fringer adapter. I know, the canon is big, but don't want to drop more money on a lens I already have.

I'm still contemplating whether to get one of the kit lenses for general walk around purposes. I do have a tamron ef-s 17-50 f2.8 that I could use with the fringer adapter, but it's one noisy lens and it will be significantly bulkier than either of the kit lenses. Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Rado R's gear list:Rado R's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
N_M
N_M
N_M
N_M
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow