Apple M1 vs Intel models

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Dan Dare Forum Member • Posts: 83
Re: Apple M1 vs Intel models

I've just had delivery of  a new MacBook Air with the M1 Chip, 8GB RAM and 512GB RAM, it's a replacement for my wife's MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch Mid 2012 which also had 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD.

I just ran the Geekbench 5.3.1 benchmarks on both machines and the new MacBook Air is significantly faster than the MBP Retina:

CPU Benchmark Scores:

Single Core - MB Air M1 = 1720

Single Core - MBP Retina = 760

Multi Core - MB Air M1 = 7552

Multi Core - MBP Retina = 2968

Compute Benchmark Scores:

MB Air M1 = 19984 (Metal API)

MBP Retina = 1688 (Metal API)

MB Air M1 = 18409 (Open CL API)

MBP Retina = 1688 (Open CL API)

I've also updated to MacOS BigSur on my iMac which is what I use for Photo Editing and this is a Retina 5K 27 inch iMac with 32GB RAM and 2TB SSD. The CPU is the Intel i7 4.2GHz and the GPU is the Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB RAM.

The same benchmark results today are as follows:

CPU Scores:

Single Core - 1125

Multi Core - 4827

Compute Scores:

41084 - Metal API

37085 - Open CL API

Bearing in mind I'm comparing the MB Air to an 8 year old MBP but go on the Geekbench website and you will see that the new MB Air and MB Pro are so much faster than the previous generation of Intel based machines.

If this is anything to go by then when the new iMac with Apple Silicon is announced it's performance should be significantly quicker than the Intel.

On a more general note I've had zero issues with the update to BigSur on my iMac, I'm running Nikon Capture NX-D, Olympus Workspace and Topaz DeNoise AI with no issues at all in conjunction with Apple Photos editing Nikon NEFs from my Z7 and ORFs from my Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mk3 and Mk2.

My only gripe is that RAW support for my OM-D E-M1 Mark 3 is still not included in Big Sur so I have to include an additional step using Olympus Workspace until that support is available and I can use Apple Photos to do all the editing..

Dan Dare's gear list:Dan Dare's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z7 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow