An attempt at low angle shots

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,075
Re: An attempt at low angle shots

Red Barchetta wrote:

Seems to work pretty good. So are you just aiming as best you can, focusing and then firing off a bunch of shots and hope that one comes out framed right and usable? The last pic is my favorite.

The camera connect app gives you a live feed on your phone via Bluetooth.  I can aim the camera looking at the phone screen.  I use the face detect area AF.  When I see the focus boxes are on the head I take a short burst of shots.  The challenge is that while you are actually taking photos the screen doesn’t update so if anything moves you can’t see what’s happening.  For this reason I only take two or three shots at a time.  Thankfully the eye AF actually works fairly well as long as the birds are relatively close.  I’d love to see how it works with a newer camera that actually has animal eye AF but I don’t think I’m ready to dangle such an expensive camera over the water like this.  The M50 and Sigma 100-400 were bad enough.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow