Using color gels

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 7,430
Re: Using color gels

flyinglentris wrote:

Pixelthinker wrote:

I want to explore using color gels in my photography. Looking online it seems most gel kits include barn doors. Paul Buff for example. I’d prefer to use gels with an umbrella or diffuser so the light fall off isn’t harsh.

What’s the reasoning behind using barn doors with gels?

There are two main reasons for using color filters, either on lenses or on lighting, 1) Color Corrections and 2) Special Effects.

Color Corrections on lighting may be best applied to mixed lighting situations where you need to balance alternate color temperatures from more than two light sources, so that you can better correct in post processing. Without the adjustments using filters, that task would be nearly impossible. Note that many will argue that otherwise there is no reason to color filter correct, as the camera has feature built in to do that sort of thing. But its a photographer,s choice.

Special Effects is ultimately a photographer's choice based on their creative vision of what their results should achieve.

The Strobist about the colours of ligth ... and there's also a link to an essay by Sara Lando on what she learned by being an assistant to Gregory Heisler for a week.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow