From Canon 6D to mirrorless

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ChelseaPhotographer
ChelseaPhotographer Contributing Member • Posts: 708
Re: From Canon 6D to mirrorless

N_M wrote:

Hello,

I'm Nicolas, from France. I am here to get (please )some advice regarding a potential shift from DSLR to mirroless camera.

The gear i have for now :

• Canon 6D with the 17-40mm f4 and the 70-200mm f4 (no IS) lenses.
  • Ricoh GRII.

Photography practice :

• 95% landscape.
  • 5% "holidays" things (details, people...).

The Ricoh is often used for holidays when backpacking or cycling and i appreciate the weight and the IQ from this little camera.

I am fine using a fix lens but i would like sometimes to change : always having a 28mm equivalent provides always the same framing/view angle. Having another angle would be nice.

The DSLR is used during day or two days hiking in the mountains. I like the IQ and the 17-40mm versability is quite nice.

Because of the weight and because i prefer wide angles , i never bring the 70-200.

Wishes and needs :

• I need a small and lightweight solution.
  • I do not really care about FF if APSC is good enough.
  • I want a good sensor IQ for shadow recovery (i see a limitation with my 6D - GRII is surprisingly good) and for night sky shots, but i am not a pixel peeper.
  • I do not need deep bokeh.
  • I do not need extreme AF performance.
  • Weather sealing is a plus (but if it rains, i would put back the camera into the bag anyway).

My final "candidates" are :

• Sony A7III with Samyang 18mm f2.8 FE, Samyang 35mm f1.8 FE lenses.
    Not too big body, very small lenses, top notch IQ and noise capability. Average EVF and tilting screen. Weather sealed.
    But i am wondering if these lenses make sense onto such a high spec sensor.
    And then, i am pretty sure i will never buy any zoom due to FF weight and size issues.
  • Fujifilm X-T3 with 16mm f2.8 and 23mm f2 lenses. Looking forward about the announced Viltrox 13mm lens. Looks good quality, lightweight and small. Good EVF and tilting screen. Weather sealed. Great deals at the moment.
    And if needed, i could still go with some zooms (10-24mm f4 / 55-200mm 3.5/4.8) without getting to big/heavy.
  • Fujifilm X-S10 with the same lenses. A bit smaller but not weather sealed, average EVF. I see the variangle screen as a weakness.

Thanks for your inputs, thoughs and advice .
Regards,
Nicolas

The Sony is good, but the colors can be a pain. Still, you have the widest lens selection of any mirrorless.

Have you considered the Z5?

ChelseaPhotographer's gear list:ChelseaPhotographer's gear list
SeaLife DC2000 Ricoh GR III Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS Nikon D850 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
N_M
N_M
N_M
N_M
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow