Best "2 Lens" travel setup for Sony A7C

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
OP David_KG New Member • Posts: 18
Re: Best "2 Lens" travel setup for Sony A7C

Hi all and thank you for the many suggestions.

I really appreciate the feedback here, especially since I am new to mirrorless photography, and appreciate your tips and advice.

From what I've learned:

- 24/85 can be too wide as your primary travel setup

- You probably want something in the 35-50 range for everyday use

- Travel photography probably leans towards wider lenses (rather than portrait) to get more of the environment

Here is what I think I'm going to do... Keep the 40mm Batis, just because my Wife really likes the Close Focus and macro capabilities over the 55mm f1.8.

And for landscape/wide, we'll get either the 20mm f1.8 or 24mm f1.4 as our wide prime.

And for zoom, I'll just modify my expectations, and add one more lens - probably the Tamron 28-200 f2.8-5.6 - It's still "relatively" compact, only around 550 grams, and we already have some fast primes if we need it, but some versatility during the day for say, photographing wild life, or general travel.

From a "jobs to be done" perspective, that will give me:

1 - Some OK macro capability (not great, but enough, especially for say, food shots)

2 - A good medium prime (for everyday use)

3 - A good wide prime (for landscape, architecture)

4 - An OK travel zoom on the long end for daytime (but still mostly compact, for say wildlife, and who knows what)

5 - Still keep the 28-60mm for when size is critical - we also want to see if we can replace our RX100, and the A7C + 28-60 gets close to that convenience factor

Oh boy! well, I can't wait till our next trip when COVID dies down so we I can see how this type of setup will work out...

Thank you everyone for your advice and I hope this has been helpful to other people as well!

David_KG's gear list:David_KG's gear list
Sony a7C Zeiss Batis 40mm F2 CF Sony FE 20mm F1.8G Sony FE 28-60mm F4-5.6
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow