Wide angle for Landscape and night sky photography (Nikon)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
jkokura Regular Member • Posts: 114
Re: Wide angle for Landscape and night sky photography (Nikon)

Rob_Smith wrote:

Morning all,

I'm after some advice on a wide angle lens for landscape and night sky photography to partner my D600. I've been looking around on the Internet and it's quite overwhelming with lots of options new and second hand for <£600 so thought I'd pose the question here.

Lenses that seem to come up regularly include...

Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8
Nikon 16-35mm f/4
Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8

The Nikon and Sigma 10-20mm lenses get mentioned a lot too but I can't quite work out if they will preform OK on an FX body given they are designed for DX.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Does it have to be a zoom? When I do night shots, which is rare, but I do them, i want a prime lens with a wider aperture. There are options available from Samyang/Rokinon, from Sigma, and a few from Nikon that you could consider.

Anything at 14mm up to 24mm is considered ultra-wide. In your shoes I'd consider the Samyang 14mm on a budget, the Nikon 20mm or 24mm if I wanted to go with native glass, and the Sigma 14mm if I was willing to spend a bunch more.

Of note, I would not get either the Sigma (did you mean tamron) or Nikon DX wide angle zooms. Those won't give you what you're looking for.

However, if you do want the wide angle zoom, the Tamrom 15-30mm 2.8 is often considered the best in class for F mount. Many pick it over the Nikon 14-24 that was released in 2007. It's less expensive, possible to find used, and again, one of the best rated for F mount Wide Angle lenses.
Jacob

jkokura's gear list:jkokura's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow