Wildlife photo camera upgrade suggestions?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
jkokura Regular Member • Posts: 114
Re: Wildlife photo camera upgrade suggestions?

Jdn995 wrote:

Hi everyone,

For the last few years I've been using a Nikon D7200 with a Nikon 28-300 for wildlife. I shoot birds, birds in flight, big game, and nature photography in general.

I have been dissapointed overall in image quality, particularly low light performance and noise from the camera. I've been able to deal with a lot of it in post processing with lightroom, but I'm at a point where I'm thinking about upgrading. I want to be able to get higher quality images overall, and to be able to shoot in the lower light conditions where I'm shooting wildlife. I can't afford really fast high end lenses, so it seems to me a camera that can manage higher iso better is the solution? Staying with Nikon would mean I could keep using the lense I have, but I'm open to any camera/lense combo. I've toyed with the idea of getting the Sigma 150-600 or Nikon 200-500 to improve my reach, but I'm not sure either of those lenses would get my image quality up. I'm looking to stay at or under $1500 for the camera, $2500 for camera/lens combo.

Thanks for any suggestions

I own and use the D500 and 200-500 combo. The camera in general would give equivalent photos to your body. The lens, however, is significantly better than the ultra-zoom 28-300. The 28-300 is a great all purpose lens, but it is not a great example of glass in comparison to other options from Nikon. The 200-500 is generally thought to be better than the 150-600 Sigma C lens, but the 150-600 Sigma S lens is often considered better. I have not used it, but I am VERY happy with my 200-500. As an amateur, it's plenty of lens for the money.

The 200-500 would give you more reach and better quality glass, and is within your budget, but if you could move to the prime lenses with an expanded budget, you might be happier with the results. I believe someone else suggested the 300mm F4. The 300mm PF is a good option you could consider that would give you a great upgrade over the 28-300. You don't have the zoom, but you will get much better results at 300mm.

Jacob

jkokura's gear list:jkokura's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow