A6600? Good camera to start with E-mounts?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
MikeInOr
MikeInOr Senior Member • Posts: 1,058
Re: A6600? Good camera to start with E-mounts?

22-Rimfire wrote:

Been considering getting an E-mount camera with a basic carry around lens. Do you think this would be a good model to choose as it is still available retail or should I look at the higher end camera bodies?

I have all A-mount stuff now (APS-C).

Are you looking for a high quality carry around camera or are you looking to transition your A-Mount to E-Mount?

For a perfect walk around camera to complement your current gear I would go with a DSC-RX100 VII.

Also coming from an A77 the piece I find lacking in the A6600 is a built in flash.  I have an extensive Godox flash setup but I find myself frequently using the built in flash as a fill flash especially when out hiking and I don't want to carry an external flash.

The 6600 DOES support screw drive focus lenses with the LE-EA5 adapter while this is not currently supported on earlier models and Sony has not announced if it will be added to earlier models.  The 6500 only currently supports screw drive lenses as manual forcus with the LE-AE5 adapter.  The old LE-EA4 adapted does support screw drive focus on older model cameras but only with the SLT autofocus system built into the LE-AE4 adapter.

An A7Rii or A7Riii will give you 18 megapixels in APS-C crop mode.  I also understand that you can shoot your APS lenses in Full Frame mode on the A7's and deal with the limited image circle in post processing... but you can get more than 18mp out of most APS lenses by doing this.

MikeInOr's gear list:MikeInOr's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony 20mm F2.8 Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow