Lighter Gear for BIF?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fairfaxian Regular Member • Posts: 293
Lighter Gear for BIF?

Is there any relatively light/compact option for capturing wildlife & occasional BIF that is light/compact? My gear is heavy, & I will either bring pro tripod or Monopod. But my GF is a runner that loves birds, is a great spotter, but doesn't want to carry heavy gear. She has a pocket Lumix with a fairly long lens, but of course the fingernail size sensor images are soft, and noisy in low light. I know that every rig is a compromise. Just wondering if anyone has had success with compacts.

I once tried the Sony RX 10-IV which is the best option I can think of. But that would be too big for a petite runner with a shoulder injury. I have a pocket Lumix with 1" sensor, that I've won prizes with . But it's useless for BIF or small, distant subjects. I started shooting BIF with a Real & 400mm prime. But again that's too heavy for her.

I can't imagine anything that would give produce decent results of distant birds/BIF that is compact. Suggestions?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow