MacOS Digital Camera RAW Format Support

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dan Dare Forum Member • Posts: 83
MacOS Digital Camera RAW Format Support

With the exception of the Nikon D780 none of the cameras announced since January 2020 have native RAW image format support in MacOS. If you import RAW files from these cameras they cannot be viewed as thumbnails or in Apple Photos, only the JPEG format is supported by the MacOS.

I use Apple Photos for my editing and image management and when I bought my Olympus E-M1 Mark 3 in August I was expecting the ORF files to be supported given the camera was announced in February but they are not. I also have an E-M1 Mark 2 and Nikon Z7 both of which are supported so if I import RAW files from either of those cameras I can see and edit them in Apple Photos.

I used to have a Nikon D850 and I remember when I bought that in 2017 it only took a couple of months before Apple added MacOS support for the NEF image format from that camera.

Since January 2020 MacOS Catalina has received 9 updates including the supplemental updates and none of those updates added any of the new cameras.

I've just updated to Big Sur and the list of supported cameras has not changed so this means that for example Canon EOS R5, EOS R6 and EOS 1 DX Mk 3, Nikon D6 are not supported.

I could install Adobe DNG converter but I don't want that on my iMac so anyone on here know if this is Apple deciding not to add any new Camera native RAW Support to the MacOS?

Dan Dare's gear list:Dan Dare's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z7 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +5 more
Canon EOS R5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow