EM1X + Oly 100-400 Nov 14 2020

Started 5 months ago | Photos thread
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 14,924
Re: Great Photos and nice summary of the lens

Paul Auclair wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

I have been using this lens for about 2 months now and totally agree with your summary.

Dave

have you tinkered with and/or figured out 'best settings' for the lens which differ compared to the 4/300 (and TCs)?

Before buying the 100-400/5.0-6.3 I used the 300/4.0.  Most of the time with either the MC14 or MC20.  Now with the 100-400/5.0-6.3 I love the ability to zoom.  Most of the time 400mm is long enough.  I only have used the MC14 and MC20 for a few photos.  Anyhow Ihave noticed I need to watch the shutter speed.   The faster the better.  So I am guessing stabilization is not as good.  I have also like to stop down a click, which is f7.1 at the long end.  So higher iso is better to overcome the slower f-stop and higher shutter speed.  I have also notice vignetting that the camera doesn't fully correct and I have to correct in post processing. I also believe the lens focusing motor is a little slower, or at least the lens doesn't focus as quick as the 300/4.0 lens.   I have got some very sharp photos., so it is very capable.  I do love this lens.

Dave

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +40 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow