I think I busted my A7Rii - what to replace it with?!

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Somnambulist Squirrel Regular Member • Posts: 149
Re: I think I busted my A7Rii - what to replace it with?!

nayyyyyyy7 wrote:

Somnambulist Squirrel wrote:

Okay, so my A7Rii and Sony FE 85 jumped ship and bounced along the concrete the other day. They may be toast. I’m waiting on the assessment, but in the event they need to be replaced, I’m thinking ahead to what might replace them. I shoot a lot of landscapes, some street, some outdoor sports, some portraiture. I like using manual, vintage lenses. Things I have liked about the A7Rii: resolution is great for landscapes, IBIS and focus peaking, magnification is awesome for shooting with old manual lenses, eye af. Things that bug me: none of the back buttons are great for back button focusing, SLOW to respond and slow burst speed, AF is not bad, but not awesome and meh with adapted lenses, I’m regularly changing custom button setups for what I’m shooting, stupid exp comp dial gets bumped by my big meat fists on the regular, colors almost always need adjustment for my taste, I find I always want to process from raw to get the output I want, oddly - noisier than I expected in long exposure shots. In that system, I have the kit 28-70 lens (only use for bad weather stuff), Samyang 35mm f2.8 (tiny, sharp and quick, and I love the focal length) and the 85 1.8. I covet the new Sony 20mm f1.8, but would also be happy with a good 24. I have a bunch of vintage manual lenses.

For my budget, I can go with any of the following:

New A7Rii, new 85 1.8 or Sammy 85 1.4, Sony 20mm 1.8

Lightly used Fuji X-T4, 16-55 2.8 and 56 1.2

New A7iii, 85 and a Tamron 20mm f2.8

Used A7riii and an 85, maybe a Tamron 20 if I sell some stuf

a6600 and the 16-55 2.8

i don’t really shoot video, though would like to learn someday. So, really for stills. I obsess over IQ, but also would love to have OOC JPEGs I actually like to share quickly.

Thoughts?!

Technology has gotten to the point where sensor size has little impact on image quality now, and if you want OOC JPEG that are actually good, then go with the X-T4, or even an X-T3 or X-S10 with some extra lenses! They have the same sensor, so it comes down to this:

X-S10: better ergonomics, worse viewfinder, flippy screen, IBIS, PSAM dials

X-T3: no IBIS, 2-way tilt screen, better viewfinder, weather sealing

X-T4: more expensive, better viewfinder, better battery, flippy screen, IBIS

And here's my recommendations for lenses:

Landscapes: upcoming 10-24 and 70-300/55-200

Street: the f2 prime of your preferred focal length

Outdoor sports: upcoming 70-300/55-200

Portraits: 56 1.2/90 f2; or the cheaper (still amazing) third party versions: viltrox 56 1.4/85 1,8

Video: I would recommend the 16-80 over the 16-55 unless you need the extra IQ and stop of light. You lose some money and stabilization though.

Feel free to ask me more questions!

^^this was my feeling re: APS-C vs. FF. I have been shooting with both the A7Rii and an a6300 (not mine, but have regular access), and have been happy with images on good glass out of both. Yes, the A7Rii can resolve much finer detail in landscapes, but really - only if you pixel peep or print WAY bigger than the 13x19 my printer will do. But I think it’s worth me digging into some image files out of the XT4 to be sure.

My thinking on lenses was that the 16-55 will beautifully cover most of my shooting, most of the time, with a 56 (maybe the Viltrox, or maybe tide myself over with the 16-55 and my manual 135 for a few months to see if Sigma releases an x mount 56 1.4) and the cheap 50-230 for sports snaps (mostly my kids’ soccer, not serious sports shooting) for now. I use my manual 135 for tele landscapes and love it for that.

I definitely want IBIS (especially using the manual 135), and weather sealing is a must (hiking, biking, skiing, etc.), so I think that leaves me with the XT4.

Or, I stick with Sony. I do very much like the images out of my A7Rii, generally. It’s a steal at $1200 new right now, given what it can do. I’ve found lightly used A7iii examples for a bit more, which gives me better AF, better ergos, but less money to get the glass I want.

Somnambulist Squirrel's gear list:Somnambulist Squirrel's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm II 7artisans 25mm F1.8 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow