Epson P900 - New Print Quality Settings

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Keith Cooper
Keith Cooper Senior Member • Posts: 2,696
Re: Epson P900 - New Print Quality Settings (P700 too)

sam_siciliano wrote:

Keith, I wondered if when you use that middle quality setting, if you always keep the 'black enhance overcoat' box in the quality section checked. It is checked by default, but you can turn it off by unchecking it. Hence at quality level 3, 'high quality,' you can print with or without that option turned on.

If you just select HQ, the settings are not changeable (this is on the Mac - no idea on win)

So, it is on - I also used this for profiling.

The ability to change it is only available when you pick the 'Quality Options' setting

Did you do any experimentation with that setting?

Yes, and a lot more on the P700 (remember they are identical in this respect).

I did a lot of testing of the ABW mode as well, and the higher settings introduce a tad too much bronzing on lustre/baryta papers for my liking (for the avoidance of doubt, it's still better than I was getting with some printers only a few years ago).

Again, with one print of a beige and purple iris, I thought I could detect the difference in a shadow on the beige part. It seemed almost unnaturally dark with the box checked.

My normal icc profiles were all built with it on (the default). I did some (with Epson TPP) at the higher quality settings as well and they looked fine (for colour) - but obviously the print time is extended.

I could seem to see a difference in the two print--without a magnifying glass! This was, by the way, with Epson Premium Luster paper that I did my experiments.

There is also the fact that Epson only do one profile for papers (for 900/700) which suggests the defaults are what should work best(but who knows - I've a number of questions I'd like to ask the people at Epson who do the profiles for these new printers )

My main avoidance is anything that includes 5760...

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

Keith Cooper's gear list:Keith Cooper's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow