The Biggest Competitive Challenge for Pentax - IBIS as Commodity

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
paulkienitz
paulkienitz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,418
Re: The Biggest Competitive Challenge for Pentax - IBIS as Commodity

JawaT wrote:

In Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) used to the one of the distinctions of the Pentax brand over the last decade. The 3+ EV advantage that came with IBIS - depending on the Pentax body - made dated lens designs and increasingly limited lens options, something that one could live with. The other plus was its mount compatibility with lenses going back 50 years on which one could use IBIS!

But the latest crop of cameras from ALL competitors now sport IBIS. Therein lies a major challenge for Pentax.

I don't think I buy this.  Their lens selection is not that different from their competitors in broad strokes, and doesn't have much dependency on stabilization any more than comparably priced lens selections elsewhere always have.

I think the real differentiator is autofocus performance, as has been discussed recently in a thread that has now filled up.  Autofocus is the one area where it's most clearly possible to point at two cameras and say "this one clearly performs better than that one", with Pentax being on the wrong side.  In almost every other area, performance is now basically similar across brands at a given price point and format size, and preferences are a matter of taste, but autofocus is where we have a clear disadvantage.

-- hide signature --

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." -- Ansel

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
mxx
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow