Fullframe vs cheap APS-C

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JamminHyaku
JamminHyaku Regular Member • Posts: 402
Fullframe vs cheap APS-C

Hello!

I currently own a Sony A7Rii fullframe camera with fullframe E mount lenses I use for astrophotography. I am quite happy with the results, so currently feel no need to purchase a telescope.

I would like to get a modified camera for deep space nebulae, but I dont really want to risk the attempt on my expensive fullframe camera. Instead, I am thinking of purchasing something like a used NEX-5n or A6000 for 200-400$ CAD and trying it on that since these cameras use the same mount as mine, so I  would not need to buy any new lenses.

Would the modified cheap camera perform better than my fullframe? I often use the fullframe in crop mode anyway, as I know I will have to crop in post regardless, and the 42MP sensor allows me to do that easily and still have around 18MP. What are peoples thoughts on the idea? Thanks!

JamminHyaku's gear list:JamminHyaku's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Samyang AF 14mm F2.8 FE +7 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow