Epson P900 - New Print Quality Settings

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Keith Cooper
Keith Cooper Senior Member • Posts: 2,701
Re: Epson P900 - New Print Quality Settings (P700 too)

John W McCormick wrote:

Here is some information of quality settings that I gleaned from the Red River Paper site and my own use of Epson Print Layout:

Quality Options available in the Epson Driver
(Epson Print Layout names in parentheses)

Print quality choices for Photo Papers

• Level 1 Superfine (Standard) 1440 x 720
  • Level 2 Quality Superfine (Quality) 1440 x 720
  • Level 3 Photo (High Quality) 1440 x 1440
  • Level 4 SuperPhoto (Max Quality) 5760 x 1440
  • Level 5 SuperPhoto Carbon Black 5760 x 1440
    (Max Quality Carbon Black)

Print quality choices for Matte Papers

• Level 3 SuperFine (Speed) 1440 x 720
  • Level 4 Photo (Standard) 1440 x 1440
  • Level 5 SuperPhoto (Max Quality) 5760 x 1440

Print quality choices for Fine Art Papers

• Level 4 Photo (Standard) 1440 x 1440
  • Level 5 SuperPhoto (Max Quality) 5760 x 1440

After a lot of P700 and P900 testing, my personal choice at A3 and above is level 4 for everything I'm printing on matte/art paper and level 3 for photo papers

I can see no appreciable benefits in level 5 for any image I've printed. That's not to say I can't see differences with my USB microscope, just they are irrelevant (to me) for normal viewing of a print.

My acid test is to pick up a pair of identical prints after a week and see if I can reliably spot the difference, by eyesight alone (1 or 2 pairs of glasses allowed...)

The biggest differences come more from source image resolution and preparation, oh and if the photo was any good in the first place

Note that I'm not saying there are no differences, just that with rather large piles of P700 and 900 prints around the place the 1440x1440 modes look just fine to me. There may be other printing uses where differences are more apparent so YMMV

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

Keith Cooper's gear list:Keith Cooper's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow