Unique vintage lens

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
fferreres Veteran Member • Posts: 6,381
Re: Unique vintage lens

The Macro sagas are interesting too:

The Killfit 40/3.5 is also special. While it’s a Tessar part it uses rare, expensive glass And it’s quite amazing how it performs for being a 3 element lens. I don’t think a lens could do so well from inf to 1:2 but it does so. Only much later would come some of the most striking lenses, the redesigned Ai micro Nikkor.

Today, Some macro lenses are just bliss, but the reason we have them is that that lens really pushed the boundaries very early on. Of the Xenotar macro lenses, the Nikkor 55/3.5 (original 2:1 version) is pretty special, so good close up. I also like the Topcor version a lot which is a little longer, 58mm.

The zoomarlenses are also connected with Killfit, and made Zoom viable in terms of quality. Today, we call them Zoom because those guys called their lenses with variable FL, Zoomar. And they were good. The Killfit 49/3.5 is also a lens who’s impact defined a class of lenses: Macro lenses. It happens so that lens brand name was Makro Killar, and it later became a norm to call all lenses that can foxus very closely natively, Makro.

Another lens I like a lot is the old Dagor type. These are 6/2, quite unusual. We don’t see any for 35mm because the produce a large image circle on larger formats. But they have amazing contrast and are small.

The a Rollei, Contarex and Arri 85/1.4 and 35/1.4 from Zeiss are also the only lenses I know were someone though an aperture in the shape of a triangle would be a good idea. Nobody has ever tried that since then that I am aware off.

If you want to discover many rare lenses, Marco Cavina page in Italian (google translate it, it works really well), is full of rarities and ode to wild designs that end up having interesting attributes.

The Pentax K, not Pentax M nor Pentax A nor Pentax Takumar nor Pentax SupernTakumar is a nice 8 element designed that was done for a very short period of time. Many people love it. It’s the slowest/bestest 28mm for many. But the Zeiss 28/2 is the “creamiest” for shooting people, a mix of a soft lens wide open but with very high resolution. The curvature gives the appearance of an even faster 28mm and has a very shot MFD.

There is only one Sonnar 35mm in the normal range, made very briefly by Pentax. And there’s a 35mm lens by Schatch that largely extends with additional elements, rendering like a Sonnar but at 35mm, the Travegon.

I think as you keep reading, you will find infinite variety of optics that have remarkable things. The ones I mentioned are for photos in 35mm except Dagor. It’s never ending.

The Ultron is one such lens, as you mention, that does something unusual. And so it’s the redesigned 1.8 Ultron (Named aplanar but which isn’t much that) which is one of many iconic lenses designed by Edhard Glatzel, along with Rollei 50/1.4, an evolved double gauss. But he also computer the Hyperion, and made the 60mm Macro Planar.

This page is a nice one:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_photographic_lens_design

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow