Fuji primes vs 16-80mm

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
nayyyyyyy7
nayyyyyyy7 Forum Member • Posts: 89
Re: Fuji vs Canon M6 II - small kit?

boogisha wrote:

GreatOceanSoftware wrote:

I have two X-T3s, one with the 8-16mm and one with with the 18-135mm. That covers the entire focal range I need. But that bag weighs 8lbs and gets tiresome after a while.

So I’m trying out the Canon M6 II with the 11-22mm and 18-150mm. That bag only weighs 2.5 lbs! But so far I haven’t figured out how to squeeze out comparable image quality, or at least get it to where I’d be happy.

If the Canon doesn’t work out, I’ll probably opt for lighter options within the Fuji system, e.g. X-T30 and the new 10-24mm.

I’ll hold onto all my current gear, but at least I can travel somewhat lighter when I need to.

Hmm, I don`t think you`re fair in your Fuji vs Canon kit comparison.

First, all features in mind, I guess Fuji X-T3 is not really comparable to Canon M6 II (not to say not even close, as I`m not really that familiar with M6 II) - so yes, X-T30 might be a better option if you want smaller/lighter _and_ don`t really need the whole X-T3 package.

Second, you say you even carry _two_ Fuji X-T3`s, while you now have a single Canon M6 II...? I`m sorry, but that sounds absurd - why can`t you just drop a single X-T3, too, then? Again, replace that with a single X-T30, and you`ll have an even lighter body than M6 II.

Finally, seeing Fujinon XF 8-16mm f/2.8 in one kit compared to Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 in another just doesn`t make any sense at all - the two lenses are beyond any comparison. As you said yourself, you have a more comparable (sizable) option in Fujinon XF 10-24mm f/4 lens instead (could be the new version shaves of a few grams as well).

Now, to summarize - sorry if some of the weights are slightly off as this was a quick investigation, but it should be pretty correct still:

• 1.19 lb, Fuji X-T3
  • 1.77 lb, Fujinon XF 8-16mm f/2.8
  • 1.10 lb, Fujinon XF 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6
  • 4.06 lb, TOTAL
  • 5.25 lb, TOTAL (X-T3 x2)
  • 0.84 lb, Fuji X-T30
  • 0.90 lb, Fujinon XF 10-24mm f/4
  • 1.10 lb, Fujinon XF 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6
  • 2.84 lb, TOTAL
  • 0.90 lb, Canon M6 Mark II
  • 0.49 lb, Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6
  • 0.66 lb, Canon EF-M 18-150 f/3.5-6.3
  • 2.05 lb, TOTAL

So, going with two bodies makes for the most comfort in terms of no lens switching - but it`s the heaviest option, of course, and obviously one you can live without (as in case of Canon).

Further, picking X-T3 over X-T30 ads some bulk still, but as your Canon kit seems to show you may not really need all the X-T3 bells and whistles, X-T30 should suit you fine there (as a bonus, image quality wise, it`s still the same sensor as X-T3).

In the end, I don`t think you can reproduce the quality you get with XF 8-16mm f/2.8 without paying the price in weight/size - but as you seem to be "okayish" with what you get from Canon`s EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6, then Fuji`s XF 10-24mm f/4 should suit you more than fine, indeed.

All summed up, when (near) equivalent setups are compared, Fuji is heavier by a mere 0.8 lb - nowhere near initial 8 lbs vs 2.5 lbs you started with (though not sure how did you come up with those in the first place, I guess there`s more gear involved).

There could be possibilities to reduce weight further, but even those additional 0.8 lb shouldn`t be too much to pay for "Fuji experience", I would think...

Exactly! Thank you!

-- hide signature --
 nayyyyyyy7's gear list:nayyyyyyy7's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Buz
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow