Best "2 Lens" travel setup for Sony A7C

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
David_KG New Member • Posts: 18
Best "2 Lens" travel setup for Sony A7C

Hi,

I recently picked up a Sony A7C - I liked the smaller size over the A7iii, and was seriously looking into the A6400 APS-C if this hasn't been announced recently. The camera is for travel (and eventually family) photos. The goal is to keep it small, light, and portable - something that we will take with us often.

We were trying some lenses in the store, and we even found some lenses like the 16-35 f4 made the smaller setup unbalanced and front heavy, so right now, we are thinking to stick to small/light primes. Maybe we'll work a zoom lens into the mix eventually, but keeping this in mind, I think the 24-105 f4 or 28-75 f2.8 are too large and heavy for our goals of a small / light setup.

My question that I'd like to pose to the experienced folks on this form is this - what's the more versatile / useful set for for say, a 2 lens travel setup ?? We did get the 28-60mm kit lens, but just really plan on using that to "fill in gaps" if needed, and we may sell it - we just liked that it was small and light.

Basically, trips to other countries, new cities, Disney world, hiking etc... which combo would be a better fit? NOTE - My wife does like landscape shots, so we do want something wider than a 28 or 35 on the low end.

Option 1 - 20mm f1.8 G lens + 40mm f2 Batis ??

- Wife likes landscape shots, sunsets, mountains, outdoor etc..

- Wife also likes the idea of CF of the 40mm batis, likes food photos

- The 40mm can still give decent portrait type shots with enough bokeh

- I could imagine the 40mm stays on the camera most of the time, and we switch over to the 20mm when we need to go wider

The thing that is giving us pause is whether the 20 and 40 is too close? Will we always end up wanting to switch lenses because our composition is just not right through the day?

Option 2 - 24mm f1.4 GM + 85mm f1.8 ??

- This combo is nice and light - I've heard a ton of good things about the 24mm

- We aren't printing our photos, so we can easily put the 24mm into crop mode for a 35 equivalent in a single lens - this would be totally fine for us

- From the forum's it seems like the 85mm f1.8 is good value - also, if we put this into APS-C mode, that gets us to almost 128mm, for say, wild life shots...

- I've seen some videos where people actually use the 85mm as a street photography lens - if i'm doing this, I'm definitely not comfortable enough to use 24 or 35, I'd want a longer lens

But the thing that is giving us pause here, is whether the 85mm f1. 8 is really versatile enough to be used as an actual travel / walk around lens, or if we'll regret it.

Option 3 - 24mm f1.4 GM + Zoom ??

Perhaps we should just do the 24mm + a zoom, like a 28-75 f2.8 Tamron, or the 28-200 f2.8-5.6 Tamron and compromise on the weight?

- The two zooms above are still fairly long and still somewhat heavy, and if my wife didn't like a lens that weighed 520 grams or so on the smaller A7C, she may not like or end up using these either in practice and they may just stay in the bag.

Something else ??

I had had an older DLSR 10 years ago and loved taking photos with it, but because it was so large, and I had so many lenses, we didn't use it nearly enough and eventually sold everything, and so we want to make sure we stick to a small / light setup for travel that we still enjoy using.

Thanks in advance!

David_KG's gear list:David_KG's gear list
Sony a7C Zeiss Batis 40mm F2 CF Sony FE 20mm F1.8G Sony FE 28-60mm F4-5.6
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow