Some Recent Frames

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Bill Ferris
OP Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 6,178
Re: Some Recent Frames

1elementin7groups wrote:

Fantastic set, Bill!

I have no idea how you are able to get close to those birds, especially the Harriers!

Dave

Thank you, Dave. My favorite location for hawk and falcon photography, is the Mormon Lake Overlook.

About a 45-minute drive from my home in Flagstaff, the overlook is atop the east rim overlooking Mormon Lake. It's an undulating meadow peppered by Juniper trees that offer concealment and camouflage from the bird's prying eyes.

The wind comes primarily from the southwest across Mormon Lake before hitting the rim. There's one spot where a reserve cuts a gradual slope through the rim to the lakebed below. The hawks, falcons and other raptors that hunt ther area seem to like this ravine. I suspect it's because the gradual slope reduces the turbulence and buffeting caused when that southwest wind hits the more vertical wall of the rim in other places.

Anyway, I have some favorite spots I visit at sunrise and sunset. Conditions are such that I can be concealed with the sun at my back, the wind at my back or to one side. As the raptor make north-south sweeps along the rim or over the meadow, I wait for them to make a closer flyby of my position. It's hit or miss but the good photo ops happen with enough frequency to keep me coming back.

As you know, harriers prefer to avoid humans. Their much more skittish than, for example, peregrines. I've had peregrines buzz past to within a few feet. Eventually, all the birds spot me. I'd like to think they're getting used to my presence. I may be a weekend annoyance but I'm a harmless weekend annoyance

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow