Some Recent Frames

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Bill Ferris
OP Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 6,181
Re: Some Recent Frames

ormdig wrote:

Hi Bill, as usual your bird photos are the gold standard. I understand your consternation with missed focus and am well aware of how sharp and detailed your images usually are BUT, this is one of the most striking images I've seen in a long time. I've looked at your recrop and much prefer the original. The bird filling the frame and the (relatively) dark shadows make this a very menacing raptor. Even the (again, relatively) slight loss of detail adds to the mood. Maybe not technically up to your usual standards but this image is one of a kind. It's ART! I love it.

Don't know if you would be interested but Imaging Resource has a bird photo contest going on and I think this (the original) would be a sure contender.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2020/11/10/like-bird-photography-enter-our-feather-focus-contest

I much appreciate the images you allow us to look at, thanks.

Pete, thank you so much for the kind words and for sharing your thoughts on that ages-old debate over technical quality vs artistic quality.

As you observed, I do instinctively prefer a photo in which the focus on one or both eyes is tack sharp. I also enjoy looking at other photographers' works. I find that both educational and occasionally inspiring. One way I've been working to grow as a photographer, is being better at recognizing a photo that captures a mood and moment well enough that a slight miss on focus doesn't detract significantly from the overall experience. In fact, as you point out, a slightly soft focus can sometimes contribute to the overall impression of a photo.

I suppose that's why I've been pretty open about the slight miss in focus in this image. It's not something I'm hoping folks won't notice. It's a fact of this photo but, in my opinion, the bird's expression and body position are still compelling. They convey a mood that makes for a good photo.

There's another in the set with a similar kind of issue. The tight framing on the harrier flying and looking straight at me is a photo I normally would not have processed. The focus is sharp on the eyes but the nictitating membrane is covering the eyes. "Ugh!" would be the family friendly way of describing my initial reaction when seeing that.

However, I love the body position, the directness,  and the fact that the bird spills outside the frame. As I thought about the image, the spooky almost zombie-like quality that protective membrane gives a bird's expression feel totally appropriate and in keeping with everything that has been, 2020.

I don't know if that feeling will last after the New Year and what will hopefully be cleansing change of the calendar. But for the time-being, it and the photo with the slight focus miss are my favorites in the set.

Again, thank you for commenting.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow