What has happened to e-Bay Japan postage prices?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 7,245
What has happened to e-Bay Japan postage prices?

Hi,

As a keen adapted lens user, I've long bought legacy lenses from Japan.  The Japanese have a great used photographic market.  Their dealers have been very honest, their descriptions of a lens accurate in my experience, and they take the best photos of the gear bar none.   In the past their postage rates have been very reasonable.

In recent times, their postage prices have gone up.  They well exceed Korean postage costs, which have to cover air-freighting items just as far.  The prices may (or may not) reflect changes in exchange rates, but there also appears to be questionable practices going on -

• the same lens may be advertised after a time at a cheaper 'Buy It Now' price, but the postage rate will go up massively - it seems to offset the apparent discount.  
  • the postage prices for sellers selling an identical make and model of lens can vary by a factor of 2-3X.
  • the prices to send a small flat light object like a lens cap or filter seem way disproportionate to their size, weight and packaging requirements.

Has anyone else noticed this?  Why the change?  And I thought e-Bay regulates abuse of postage prices?

Regards, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +14 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow