Send in my 16-55 or not?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lens_Goat
Lens_Goat Contributing Member • Posts: 743
Send in my 16-55 or not?

Ever since I drove off with my camera on the roof of my car, I've been wary of the performance of my beloved 16-55, which I've owned for two years. It was the lens attached to my camera that fateful night. I wound up sending my camera in to have the top plate replaced but my 16-55 never got a looking over.

Cosmetically speaking, the 16-55 escaped the incident without a scuff. The lens hood was loosened and that's about it -- it now comes off very easily when it erstwhile had taken a herculean effort to remove. The lens has still provided me with cherished images ever since but I'm of the mind the photos have lost a bit of pop. It could very well just be in my head, because, if there's a difference, it's awfully subtle.

I tested the 16-55 against my new 55-200. The 55-200 is longer at 55mm but I was still able to compare them. The 55-200 seems a touch sharper and more contrasty. Granted, it's very close and I only can discern any small difference at 1:1.

I called Fujifilm today and the rep told me a computer would test the lens and correct any issue. Does this ring true to anyone else's experience? On the surface, it seems like it would be an involved process to correct a problem if the elements were knocked out of alignment but what do I know?

I guess it can't hurt to send it in for evaluation but anyone care to weigh in?

Thanks!

Lens_Goat's gear list:Lens_Goat's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR XF 90mm
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow