Does anyone primarily shoot portraits with the 50mm F2? (vs 56mm 1.2)?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Colin Dutton Regular Member • Posts: 237
Re: Does anyone primarily shoot portraits with the 50mm F2? (vs 56mm 1.2)?

Miguel-C wrote:

Its sharp enough for causal users perhaps.

It's an extremely sharp lens and it keeps it sharpness and contrast even at close distance. The 50mm and the 90mm are my favourites in the F2 line-up and I'm definitely not a casual user.

Having said that, I did have to try three copies of the 50mm before I found one that focused correctly.  The others were focusing slightly off on both my X-H1 and X-Pro2 and that gave the impression of softness. A friend of mine complained that his 50mm wasn't sharp so I tried it and found the same problem. Apparently it's impossible for mirrorless cameras to back-focus as the focus is read from the sensor but that's what I found in any case. Maybe a firmware update is needed so if other users have found the same issue I'd be curious to know.

My current copy is almost perfect but for critical focus portraits at wide aperture I use peaking. When it's in focus it's super-sharp and it has a lovely bokeh on close distance portraits.

Hope that helps.

Colin

Colin Dutton's gear list:Colin Dutton's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon D850 Fujifilm X-H1
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow