Sony 24-105 f4 G vs. Sony 24-70 f2.8 GM... flickr bias

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP charley5 Senior Member • Posts: 2,253
Re: My ratings of six lenses' IQ after doing research...

Scott Alan wrote:

charley5 wrote:

This research is obviously unscientific. It is meant only to help me choose a mostly landscape lens out of the following six alternatives. These ratings are for image quality only. The ratings were formulated after looking at 25-30 landscape shots on flickr for each lens, usually at 100% view. The ratings are out of 5 points, and a 2.5 would be an average rating, meaning it was just satisfactory.

Sony 24-70 2.8 GM ..... (4.5/5.0)

Sigma 24-70 2.8 Art .... (4.0/5.0)

Sony 24-105 4 G........... (3.5/5.0)

Sony 24-240 3.5/6.3 .... (3.0/5.0)

Tamron 24-70 2.8 ......... (2.5/5.0)

Tamron 28-200 2.8/5.6 ..(2.0/5.0)

If someone has compared more than one of these lenses please let me know what your findings have been relative to these ratings. I would also love to hear why you disagree with these ratings. In fact, if you want to re-order, please do (based on IQ). I might revisit my conclusions. I hope I haven't insulted anyone who owns these last couple of lenses.

-Charles

Lenses have character and you should purchase one that appeals to you.

I experiences this when I took a picture of a rainbow with my 24-105mm G. I just did not like the result as the colors were just Muted or not well defined. So I put on my 20mm F1.8 Sony and even though I had to crop the difference was dramatic in that particular case. Thing like CA, contrast, etc. make a difference.

So I think you have your ranking and should go with it.

Thanks for the encouragement Scott. There are people who completely deny that lenses have different looks. They find it too subjective a factor. I take portraits with old cine lenses and find them spectacular. Go figure.

-Charles

charley5's gear list:charley5's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow