S5 third party lenses,: m42 or vintage lenses on S5?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
GCL Regular Member • Posts: 189
Re: S5 third party lenses,: m42 or vintage lenses on S5?

paatryk77 wrote:

I would like to thank you all for your contribution and nice insightful replies. i have just bought... the Sony A7III. The Panasonic is a major letdown in several important departments: the battery life, the heftiness and the AF (I have just seen a very honest review *, plus talked to a friend who works at a photo store and has played with the S5)... I mean, for this amount of cash the Panny should do better if they want to stand up to the competition. Sorry L-mount, not this time ;-(. best to all of you, T.

*if you speak French, have a look here: https://youtu.be/k-lkOOHhzUA, if not, just go for translation.

You might want to rent a Sony to try it out with your vintage lenses before you commit.  The sensor stack in Sony cameras apparently is thicker than in Nikon, Leica, and Panasonic cameras and therefore tends to yield inferior performance with certain adapted lenses (wide angle lenses in particular and rangefinder lenses especially).  Just worth a check if you have the opportunity to try before you buy to confirm you are satisfied with the performance of your vintage lenses on the A7 III.

GCL's gear list:GCL's gear list
Ricoh GR III Nikon Z7 Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar Panasonic S Pro 70-200mm F4 OIS +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GCL
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow