An X-T3 users thoughts on his X-E3 purchase...

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DivineMadcat Forum Member • Posts: 86
An X-T3 users thoughts on his X-E3 purchase...

So, not that it matters, but a little over a month ago, i picked up an X-E3 w/ 23mm 1.4 for a song ($450); but had reservations that a body older and more limited than my T3 would be as useful. However, i followed the advice here, and gave it a fair shot; in this time, i also figured it would be good to share my feedback for anyone else who might be wondering. And i will leave a TL:DR for those wondering at the end...

Overall Impressions

Obviously, the body size and style are completely different from the T3, which was my first reservation. I am happy to say that the body style really grew on me. Before my move to Fuji, i had an A6000, and the square RF style body absolutely never grew on me. I hated using the camera, and it didn't stay in my collection long. Thankfully, this camera is a polar opposite; i enjoy using it as much as the T3, and the grip (even without an extension) is excellent. I think i would wish for the dials of the T3, but i have had no problem adapting to the different setup.

Compared to the T3, i have had to be a little more flexible on my configuration, but it still works well. My front dial manages ISO, with shutter generally on A, and aperture adjusted on the lens.

EVF

A number of users asked my thoughts on the EVF in comparison, and i can't say i will really surprise anyone. It is smaller for sure, and i lament the loss of the eye cup (i know there is a 3rd party solution, but....). However, in real world use, i have had no problem making it work, and it has never cost me a shot.

Likewise, the LCD is nice, but I definitely find myself wishing for the adjustable monitor i came to love on the T3. It works, but Fuji has some room to impress if they add that kind of feature. Otherwise, the screen and experience is the same, and using it has been seamless day to day.

Autofocus

Being an older body, I also had worries that the AF would disappoint; thankfully, for the USE CASE i see the E3, it has never been a problem. Right up front, i know my T3 on V4 will blow it out of the water, but i also will not use the E3 in the same situation that my T3 will see (paired with the 100-400 more rugged outdoors, etc). The E3 keeps up very well on the street, and does an excellent job for portrait and still photography.

Image Quality

This was my biggest worry.. would the X-Trans 3 leave me disappointed. Flat out, not at all! Since using it, not once have i hesitated in using it because i was afraid the image quality would be a problem. The colors are wonderful, with the same crisp Fuji color that impressed me with the X-T3. I have even done night photography, and left again very happy.

Other thoughts

Surprisingly, this has become my go to body for walk arounds in the day/night, when i just want something with me. It is 99% used with the 23mm (as such, i now completely understand the X100V), but that may change as i acquire other similar primes (would like an 18, or pancake 27, etc). I love the combination, and it has killed a long standing desire for a mobile setup like an RX100 VI, etc. Right now, the two bodies average a 50/50 use, with the T3 winning on planned trips, and the E3 for any grab and go. I also love how small the E3 is, and i can fit it easily into my T3 bad (Thinktank Streetwalker V2) as a backup body. I really feel that this body has opened me up in what is possible for me, and i am beyond thankful i purchased it when i did.

TL:DR

The E3 has become a beloved addition to my hobby. It commonly goes with me every day (in my man purse... lol), and has impressed me with its versatility. It won't replace my T3, but it definitely made me a more agile and equipped photographer. I solidly recommend such a camera if you are looking for a second body.

Sample Images:

Most of these are with the 23mm, but all with the E3:

DivineMadcat's gear list:DivineMadcat's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +1 more
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow