Why Are E-Mount Lenses Sometimes Longer than i.e. EF-Lenses?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
elgourmet Junior Member • Posts: 25
Why Are E-Mount Lenses Sometimes Longer than i.e. EF-Lenses?

Dear Community,

One thing I just can't like about my switch from Canon (EF) to Sony (E) is that somehow, for me, the lenses appear to be longer than EF lenses with the exact same focal length.
As an example, take the Sigma 35mm prime lens. This very same lens is about 4 cm longer as an E Version compared with the EF version. It's just that this very difference makes my Sony A7III appear uncomfortable and bulky when carrying it around. My dream leans would be a 35mm 1.4 prime with autofocus that feels a little bit more compact. My EF System had such options. Of course, the body was bigger, but somehow the relationship between body size and lens size felt more fitting....

...I realize that this has to have to do with the design of the Sony E Mount system (flange distance?), but given the fact that this extra length of lenses seems as a clear disadvantage to me, can someone explain to me why Sony chose to design it that way? Or am I missing something completely here?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow