80D AI Focus

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Enders Shadow
Enders Shadow Veteran Member • Posts: 3,357
Re: 80D AI Focus

Todd G. wrote:

Could being in AI Focus versus one shot account for this issue? The family was static or moving slowly.

AI Focus starts off the same as One-Shot AF and switches to AI Servo AF mode only if it detects changing subject distance. It is slow to react and generally won't switch to AI Servo AF if the subject framing changes after initial focus lock has been obtained.

With AI Focus, if you don't have the subject correctly framed when you half press the shutter, it's unlikely to correct focus. (It behaves just like One-Shot AF) If you correctly place the AF point or zone over the subject, half press the shutter release, then have the subject start changing distance, eventually it will switch to AI Servo AF and begin to correct focus.

The EXIF of your examples show the camera was in One-Shot mode (didn't switch to AI Servo AF) when the pictures were taken. This suggests you probably didn't have the AF point located on the subject when you half pressed the shutter. If you want continuous AF, you should be using AI Servo. I've tested AI Focus several times and found it to be inconsistent and unreliable. I stick to AF modes where I know what the camera is doing.

For a scene like yours, I'd probably use One-Shot AF with the 9 point zone or a single point. Focus on half press then reframe or shift the AF point(s). I like seeing the AF lock indication.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Enders Shadow's gear list:Enders Shadow's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus Tough TG-3 Fujifilm X30 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Nikon D500 +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow