X-S10 missing "film simulation recipe" (JPEG) custom settings (C1 to C7) capacity?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
boogisha
boogisha Senior Member • Posts: 2,043
X-S10 missing "film simulation recipe" (JPEG) custom settings (C1 to C7) capacity?

With X-S10 "Owner`s Manual" PDF becoming available[1], I gave it a look, mainly interested in what`s now possible to store in newly implemented C1 to C4 "Custom Modes" found on mode dial, being one of the things that can vastly improve shooting experience (allowing quick change of many shooting settings at once) and which Fuji was lacking so far.

According the manual (pp. 67-68, or online[2]), custom setting holds these items:

• SHOOTING MODE
  • SHUTTER SPEED
  • APERTURE
  • EXP. COMPENSATION
  • DRIVE MODE

... aaand that`s it. Hmm, what? Ok, ok, we might want to give Fuji some slack for allowing these settings only (for now?), X-S10 being the first camera to implement the functionality, where hopefully new items will be available in the future (either in X-S10 itself through firmware updates, or in following camera models).

It`s downright understatement saying that having this low level of customization is barely useful, but there`s actually one other thing that bothers me more...

As we know, "CUSTOM SETTING" is not a new concept for Fuji, just that so far it was tied to JPEG related options - for example, X-T4 offers storing some of these items:

• IMAGE SIZE
  • IMAGE QUALITY
  • RAW RECORDING
  • FILM SIMULATION
  • MONOCHROMATIC COLOR
  • GRAIN EFFECT
  • COLOR CHROME EFFECT
  • COLOR CHROME FX BLUE
  • WHITE BALANCE (* with shift!)
  • DYNAMIC RANGE
  • D RANGE PRIORITY
  • TONE CURVE (= HIGHLIGHT TONE + SHADOW TONE)
  • COLOR
  • SHARPNESS
  • HIGH ISO NR
  • CLARITY
    ... etc.

On top, it was possible to have _seven_ of these "custom setting" banks (C1 to C7), and while the settings here are not at all useful for quick change of actual shooting parameters (or RAW), they allowed enormous JPEG customization possibilities, making it possible to custom-tailor already great Fuji JPEGs to what`s known as "film simulation recipes"[3] - basically enabling the photographer to get preferred JPEGs directly out of camera already, possibly even simulating some of the known analog film stock looks of the old, if desired, all without any post-processing requirement.

Not sure how many people care about this (magnificent JPEG customization) functionality, but I guess I won`t be wrong saying it`s unique and one of the crucial parts of "Fuji experience" - and X-S10 seems to miss it completely...?

I mean, I was definitely one of the people crying out loud to get even more usable "custom settings", where besides JPEG-only options one could set actual shooting options, too, but all that was needed was to _extend_ existing possibilities (merging the two lists above into one, for example, or have them completely separated, even), but  _not_ scrapping one for the other altogether... and that under the same "custom setting" name which used to stand for something else in the first place.

Besides, there was no reason to drop seven "custom setting" banks/slots for only four - there`s nothing wrong with having C1 to C4 quickly accessible through the mode dial (as it is now), while having the rest C5 to C7 (or more) still available through "SELECT CUSTOM SETTING" menu as before (and also available through Q menu, not being the case on X-S10 anymore).

With camera not being much in the wild still, I really hope I`m overlooking something here, otherwise, even though new C1 to C4 shooting options custom settings are a change in a positive direction, losing former C1 to C7 JPEG custom settings seems as a huge negative... or not, X-S10 possibly proving once again to be "Fuji camera for non-Fuji photographers" :/

Eh, I just hope some future models will bring the best of both worlds, at least inside known/established/core Fuji models, allowing existing users to both fine-tune their JPEGs, but also quickly change all kind of shooting settings, too - and all with dedicated/manual control dials still.

boogisha's gear list:boogisha's gear list
Canon PowerShot A75 Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon PowerShot S120 Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +12 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow