Do Pentax Users Really Shoot BIF and Other Motion Scenes

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
paulkienitz
paulkienitz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,418
Re: Do Pentax Users Really Shoot BIF and Other Motion Scenes

Alex Sarbu wrote:

It is a bird, it flies, thus it's a BIF. I'd be somewhat annoyed to be told, no, it's not technically challenging enough - particularly since it's an excellent picture.

The point is, does that picture fall into the category of shots that a camera with better AF will get but a camera with worse AF fails to get? It's not at all clear that it does, because you can't tell which direction, if any, the hummy is moving. It's when a bird is coming at ya, like this, that it's semi-impossible to get a sharp shot... last time I tried, this was about the clearest I could get under those conditions:

...though on closer examination, this has more motion blur than focus blur.  When trying to track something like this, it starts to seem like the longest safe exposure time is at least triple the focal length.

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow